Novak Djokovic's participation in the sunshine double has been dealt a blow as the United States has extended its entry requirements for proof of vaccination for non-US nationals until 10 April.
Novak Djokovic is unlikely to play any tennis in the United States for the foreseeable future after the country extended its COVID-19 vaccination requirements.
As a result, he is almost certain to miss the Indian Wells and Miami Open Masters 1000 events this year if he remains unvaccinated against the virus.
A statement from the Transportation Security Administration on Wednesday said the requirement for foreign air travellers to be fully vaccinated against COVID would remain in place until 10 April, 2023.
Indian Wells runs from 6-19 March while the Miami Open starts on 20 March.
The 35-year-old Serb was unable to defend his Australian Open crown last year after being deported on the eve of the tournament due to his COVID vaccine status.
Djokovic, who previously stated he would miss Grand Slams rather than have the COVID vaccine, said last week that experience a year ago in Australia will stay with him for the rest of his life.
"Obviously, what happened 12 months ago was not easy for me, for my family, team, anybody who's close to me. It's obviously disappointing to leave the country like that but it's one of those things that sticks with you."
"What happened 12 months ago wasn't easy to digest for some time but at the same time, I had to move on," Djokovic said in Adelaide.
The nine-times Australian Open champion is currently warming up for the 2023 season in Adelaide for the first major of the year, due to get underway on 17 January.
Djokovic was able to enter Australia after his three-year travel ban for the country — deployed as a result of being deported — was waived in November.